Best Practices for Seniors Preparing to Downsize
Whether you’re downsizing to cut your monthly expenses, reduce maintenance, or improve the accessibility of your home in preparation for aging in place, moving into a smaller home is a big process. Deciding what to keep and get rid of is only part of it. You also have to consider your financial plan and navigate the logistics of moving. Don’t let all of these steps overwhelm you! De-cluttering, selling your property, and moving into a new home happen in stages. As you prepare yourself for downsizing, take advantage of the following resources.
Where to Find Financial Assistance
While downsizing will help you cut down on expenses, moving and modifying your home can still be costly.
- The Myth of the 20 Percent Down Payment
- Mortgage Help for Veterans
- The Best Financial Assistance Options for Home Modifications for Aging in Place
- 25 Simple Ways to Cut the Cost of Moving
Exploring Your Housing Options
Carefully consider which living option best suits your needs.
- 5 Benefits of Aging in Place
- The Village Model: A Neighborly Way to Age in Place
- What Is the Difference Between Assisted Living and Independent Living
- What You Need to Know About Downsizing to a Condo
- Familiarize Yourself with the Houston Housing Market
Things to Do Before Moving Day
Plan your move well ahead of time by deciding what you want to keep and hiring competent professionals.
- Hire Entrust Movers for Dependable Moving and Packing Services
- 4 Essential Decluttering Tips for Seniors
- Organizations that Offer Donation Pick Up for Items You No Longer Want
- The Only Moving Checklist You’ll Ever Need
As you work your way through the downsizing process, remember to take it one step at a time. Get your financial prerequisites in order, consider your housing options, de-clutter your belongings, and tackle your moving checklist over the months leading up to your desired moving date. Approaching downsizing with a strategic plan will help you stay organized and in control during this complicated process.